Friday, November 9, 2012

Opening Up an Old Wound

I'm healed. I've moved on. I closed the door to the possibility of being a parent, and I'm perfectly okay with that.   In fact, I'm really enjoying being childless and having the freedom to do anything I want.

So why am I back in this space you ask?

Because we got The Call.

I'll let that sink in for a minute because trust me, I needed more than a minute myself today.   In fact my hands are shaking as I type this.

We are no longer active with our adoption agency because they are a national agency and our homestudy was only good for one year with them.  But our homestudy was actually completed by a local agency in CT where it's valid for two years.  So while we went inactive with the national agency the homestudy agency continued to show our profiles.  And we were chosen by a birthmom.

Words cannot begin to describe the range of emotions I felt when I got The Call.  We never expected to get a call from our local agency.  They do only 3 or 4 placements a year while the national agency completes over 300.  We were completely shocked when we found out that a birthmom had picked us.

I had a meltdown at work.  I couldn't get ahold of Brandon for over an hour.  When I did get in touch with him we both decided to take off work early to come home and talk things over.  I was a basketcase but still unsure of whether we'd accept this match.  It was just so difficult for us to make peace with a decision, close a door and then have it fly open again out of nowhere.  So many thoughts were rolling around in my head, the biggest one being "What if we say yes and she changes her mind?".

We spent the entire afternoon talking, reasoning through this new turn of events.  Brandon was concerned that he'd miss out on major milestones when he starts deploying next fall.  We worried over money because we had taken all our adoption savings and put it towards paying off my car so now we'd have to take out another loan to cover the adoption.  We discussed our current lifestyle and how we're genuinely happy, baby or no baby.  It was just so easy to make a decision to quit adoption when the idea of adopting was just a nameless, faceless dream.  Now there is a unborn baby out there with an identity, a race and a gender and suddenly it becomes so very very real.

In the end we decided to take this opportunity, to stop in the middle of the path that our lives were currently headed and completely switch directions back to parenthood.  We called our social worker to tell her the news.

Our daughter is due in late December.

25 comments:

  1. I just got chill bumps when I saw this pop up on my feed!! congratulations!!! I look forward to hearing the good news in a few weeks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know how they say that some things are just "meant to be"? Thank you for sharing. Praying and hoping for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my Gosh Congratulations! There really is a plan for everyone! I really can't wait to hear more! Please keep us posted

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG! I am crying with happiness for you!! Can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I literally just teared up. Congratulations!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is amazing news!!! I am so thrilled for you! Can't wait to hear more!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lost for words on this amazing news!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't even know what to say besides Congratulations!! Life has a funny way of working itself out and I am just over the moon for you. This post brought tears to my eyes!! I can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What incredible news! Congratulations! They always say babies come when they're ready (and usually when you least expect or prepared for them!!) good luck with getting everything ready for your daughter, not long now! It's a good thing you and Brandon enjoyed your time-out from all things kids because your life is going to change forever! Make sure you keep us posted on how you guys are going! Congratulations again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow!! Congratulations! I've got tears literally running down my face for you, this is so incredible!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a turn of events!! I knew you would not shut down this blog, you cannot believe how happy i ham for you!! Your blog will be moved soon in parenting blogroll can you believe it?? So so happy my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have goosebumps, I'm so happy for you.... congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations!! That is is wonderful news, life is a funny,strange and wonderful thing sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I cannot even explain the tears that are running down my eyes in extreme happiness for you! God does work when we least expect it. I am SO happy for you, Congrats momma to be! :-) May God guide you along this crazy journey and prevent any more heartbreak! <3

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amazing news!!! I am so thrilled to read this! Congratulations :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. YAYYY! I'm a lurking reader, wanted to leave a mssg to say that is really wonderful and am so happy for you. What a lucky girl your daughter is and you are lucky to have her.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my GOSH, Christa. This is amazing..I'm so emotional for you. Talk about meant to be. I can't wait to hear all about it. You're going to be a mom!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my god!!!! I have chills. I am SO, SO, SO, SO excited for you and Brandon. I am speechless.
    Amazing, amazing news.
    Wow, please continue to keep us posted.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  19. WOW! That's amazing news, and what a roller coaster of emotions!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my goodness!!! I am tearing up right now. I am SOOO over the moon happy for you guys!!! You totally made the right decision. I've followed your blog for awhile now and I am so excited for you!!! What an amazing blessing. It will truly be a VERY happy new year for your family!!! =)
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  21. Here from the 2012 Creme. Congratations! I am excited to start following your journey.

    ReplyDelete